Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Most Brits aren't exercising enough


With the Olympics upon us, I've been thinking recently about my day-to-day routine and, more specifically, about the amount of exercise I get. Admittedly, I could be doing better.

Having said this, new research suggests I'm not the only one.

A collection of studies, published in the Lancet medical journal, show many British adults – around 63% of us apparently – fail to achieve the minimum recommended amounts of physical exercise – that's 150 minutes of moderate activity every week.

If we do not meet these guidelines, we could be more likely to suffer from various conditions such as coronary heart disease or diabetes – and I thought only the price of my van insurance could cost me!

Our alarming levels of inactivity may be attributed to a wide variety of factors, such as Britain's generally poor weather conditions or our busy schedules. In my case, I spend too much time on the roads. Although I take breaks every couple of hours, I really don't have enough time to exercise.

To correct this problem, I did a quick bit of research online and found an exercise programme which drivers can carry out while behind the wheel. This routine, put together by a car insurance company and the University of Wales in Cardiff, suggests several interesting methods, including:

  • Exercising your arms by stretching them over the steering wheel, in the direction of the windows and towards your back;

  • Gripping the steering wheel, releasing and then stretching your fingers to exercise your hands and wrists; as well as

  • Exercising your shoulders by sitting in an upright position, moving them towards the ears and then bringing them back down.

While this routine may ease stress and help motorists become healthier, it should only be carried out while stationary in a safe location. Personally, I'm going to see if I can improve my fitness levels by visiting my local gym.

Photo © Tobyotter via Flickr under Creative Commons Licence

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home